GRAMMY FoundationGRAMMY Foundation
- Buy A Chuck, Give a Buck
- 2016 Music Education Award Semifinalists
- 2016 Music Educator Award Winner
- Nominate an Educator
Journeys x Converse Back to School Donation
GRAMMY Signature Schools
From August 11 - September 7.
For every pair of Converse sneakers sold at participating Journeys locations, Journeys and Converse collectively will donate a dollar to the GRAMMY Foundation up to $200,000 to support music and arts education in schools across the country.
Why? Because Music Matters.
2017 GRAMMY Foundation Music Educator Award Semifinalists
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 25 SEMIFINALISTS ANNOUNCED FOR THE MUSIC EDUCATOR AWARD™ PRESENTED BY THE RECORDING ACADEMY® AND THE GRAMMY FOUNDATION®
A total of twenty-five (25) music teachers from twenty-five (25) cities across sixteen (16) states have been announced as semifinalists for the Music Educator Award™ presented by The Recording Academy® and the GRAMMY Foundation®. The Music Educator Award was established to recognize current educators (K through college, public and private schools) who have made a significant and lasting contribution to the field of music education and who demonstrate a commitment to the broader cause of maintaining music education in their schools.
Each year, one recipient is selected from 10 finalists and recognized for their remarkable impact on students’ lives. The fourth annual honoree will be flown to the host city of the GRAMMY Awards to be recognized during GRAMMY Week 2017. The nine additional finalists will receive a $1,000 honorarium, and the schools of all 10 finalists will receive matching grants. Additionally, 15 semifinalists will receive a $500 honorarium with matching school grants for the first time in the award’s history. The honorariums and grants provided to the finalists and schools are made possible by the generosity and support of the GRAMMY Foundation’s Education Champions: Journeys, Converse, Disney Performing Arts, and Ford Motor Company Fund.
A complete list of semifinalists is below. The ten finalists will be announced in December. For more information, please visit www.grammymusicteacher.com
- Erica Breitbarth: Reagan IB High School - Milwaukee, WI
- Charles Cushinery: Ed W. Clark High School - Las Vegas, NV
- Darnella Davidson: San Pedro Senior High School - San Pedro, CS
- David Dehner: Monte Vista Christian School - Watsonville, CA
- Jose Diaz: MacArthur High School - Houston , TX
- Krista Fanning: Caddo Middle Magnet - Shreveport, LA
- Chris Gleason: Patrick Marsh Middle School - Sun Prairie, WI
- Roosevelt Griffin: Gwendolyn Brooks Middle School - Harvey, IL
- Keith Hancock: Tesoro High School - Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
- Elizabeth Hankins: Lakewood High School - Lakewood, OH
- Keith Hart Sr.: KIPP Believe College Prep - New Orleans, LA
- Michael Henderson: Chase High School - Forest City, N.C.
- Judy Hilliard: Easley Year-Round Magnet Elementary School - Durham, N.C.
- Kathryn Malin Iwanusa: PS 11 - Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Brandi Jason: Liberty High School - Eldersburg, MD
- Nick Lenio: Basalt Middle School - Basalt, CO
- Pamela McClain: Parkersburg High School - Parkersburg, W.V.
- Henry Miller: Sierra Vista Middle School - Irvine, CA
- Richard Nickerson: Windham High School - Windham, MA
- Ulli Reiner: Bernardo Heights Middle School - Poway, CA
- Melissa Salguero: PS 48
- Joseph R. Drake - Bronx, N.Y.
- Nathan Sletten: Earlham Community Schools - Earlham, IO
- Jason Smith: Newton High School - Covington, GA
- Nicole Thompson: Taylor Road Middle School - Johns Creek, GS
- Linda Versprille: Cane Bay High School - Summerville, S.C.
CONGRATULATIONS TO PHILLIP RIGGS of North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics in Durham, NC.
Music Teacher Phillip Riggs was flown to Los Angeles to accept the Grammy Foundation's Third Annual Music Educator Award presented by the Recording Academy and the Grammy Foundation. One of ten finalists, Riggs was chosen out of an initial pool of 4,500 nominees, submitted online. Riggs will receive a $10,000 honorarium. Each of the nine finalists received a $1,000 cash honorarium. The 10 schools received matching grants. Journeys joins Converse, Disney Performing Arts and Ford Motor Company Fund as the Founding Sponsors of this award.
Nominations for the 2017 Music Educator Award are now open at www.grammymuiscteacher.com
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 10 FINALISTS ANNOUNCED FOR THE MUSIC EDUCATOR AWARD™ PRESENTED BY THE RECORDING ACADEMY® AND THE GRAMMY FOUNDATION®
A total of ten (10) music teachers from across the U.S. have been announced as the finalists for the third annual Music Educator Award™ presented by The Recording Academy® and The GRAMMY Foundation®. The Music Educator Award was established to recognize current educators (K – college, public and private schools) who have made a significant and lasting contribution to the field of music education and who demonstrate a commitment to the broader cause of maintaining music education in the schools.
In total, more than 4,500 nominations were submitted from all 50 states for this year’s award. One recipient is selected from 10 finalists, and will be recognized for their impact on students’ lives. The winner will be flown to the GRAMMY Awards to accept the award, attend the GRAMMY Awards ceremony and receive a $10,000 honorarium. The nine other finalists will each receive a $1,000 honorarium, and the schools of all 10 finalists also receive matching grants. Journeys joins Converse, Disney Performing Arts and Ford Motor Company Fund as the founding sponsors of this award.
A complete list of finalists is below.
- Bonnie Anderson - Coronado Village Elementary School (Universal City, TX)
- Krista Fanning - Caddo Middle Magnet (Shreveport, LA)
- Anne Fennell - Mission Vista High School (Oceanside, CA)
- Frank Gawle - Wilton High School (Wilton, CT)
- Keith Hancock - Tesoro High School (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA)
- Penelope Quesada - Lincoln Elementary School (Louisville, KY)
- Phillip Riggs - North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (Durham, NC)
- Bill Swick - Las Vegas Academy of the Arts (Las Vegas, NV)
- Brayer Teague - Downers Grove North High School (Downers Grove, IL)
- Lois Wiggins - Edythe J. Hayes Middle School (Lexington, KY)